Artist Background: Lasko Bills is a young hungry artist with name you might look twice at. Born in Chicago but raised in Atlanta’s Zone 4 area. How catchy flows, vivid story telling and use of imagery coincide to create both a lyrical and relatable experience for listeners.
1) Talk to me about the making of your latest project. What was the inspiration behind it?
The main inspiration behind 2love4life is just about purely where I’m frm and what goes on or what can happen good bad and the ugly. It’s so much glorification on Atlanta which I love, just not enough shine for the 4 in my opinion. I’m tryna change that and this can be the start.
2) With the music industry tanking and record sales falling, how do you currently make money as an independent hip-hop artist?
I work, gamble and serve the city.
3) From a business point of view, which artists in the game do you think are really pushing the boundaries and changing it up?
I would say Chance the rapper abs Future. Chance showed me that you can be independent and keep your integrity and still make this money. Future has just switched up a lot in the game from how many projects he drops at once to the pure sound. Much respect.
4) What business lessons have you learnt from the music industry so far?
I’ve learned to always keep creating. That’s how you make your money so no matter what happens, CREATE.
5) What do you love about hip-hop music?
I love EVERYTHING about I for the most part. I like how we can take our emotions and pour em out. I love how we are the top genre after so many years of being over looked and we still growing. I love it’s so diverse not just one singular style, I love it man since a kid.
6) What still surprises you about hip-hop?
What still surprises me honestly, is how we still can make something old and make that bih pop. Some many old beats and/or flows recycled and flipped and became something totally new and lit. Still blows my mind.
7) If you had the power to change one thing about the hip-hop industry to help independent artists – what would it be?
I would give artist period more money on their sales from streaming. Or maybe try to make it more of an even ground between signed artist and independent artists… if you poppin’ you poppin’.. period.
8) Who do you think are top 3 rappers doing it at the moment?
Future, Offset, Kung Fu Kenny.
9) So what are your plans for the future?
My plans consist of becoming the best version of me and take y’all along for the long. Show the world what all the 4 got to offer, show my ppls that I wasn’t lying when I said ima do it. I plan on working so hard they gotta FREE my brother DEE just because and last but never least, keep spreading 2Love around the world 4 Life.