English rapper and vocalist Tobias is a hip-hop artist from London, England, who currently resides in Buffalo NY.
His smooth delivery and night life sound give his music an upbeat vibe and overly conscious feel. Hip-hop, rap, R ‘n’ b and soul have had the biggest influences on Tobias’s music. At the beginning of his career the biggest inspiration for his art stemmed from Drake, J. Cole, Alicia Keys, Bryson Tiller, Partynextdoor and Tory Lanez.
Tobias transitioned from a diverse listener to an artist in late 2019, he later went on to release music consistently in late 2020 which led him to release his debut mixtape ‘The Relapse’, on YouTube and Soundcloud.
Since the release of ‘Post Highlights’ (First Release on DSPs),Tobias is beginning to blaze a trail for his music career.
Tobias had a year full of releases in the year 2021, this was a year that allowed Tobias to gain momentum and express his creativity more than he ever had done before! Singles like; ‘Buffalo Boy, My letter to My Sheila, I Want the Lights, 3hrs from New Jersey’, these were all singles that were gaining local buzz throughout 2021 and, furthermore gave Tobias the perfect stepping stone going into 2022.
Through various posts and statements made on social media by Tobias, he made it clear that he wanted 2022 to be his year and he wanted everybody to know it.
1) Talk to me about the making of your latest project. What was the inspiration behind it?
The making of my last project ‘No Reservations’ was special with a lot of memories attached. The whole inspiration behind ‘No Reservations’ came from my life thus far, being an underdog in every way and having to wait my turn because I had ‘No Reservations’.
2) With the music industry tanking and record sales falling, how do you currently make money as an independent hip-hop artist?
As an independent Artist, I make money from my E-Commerce business I currently run and also two other jobs I work.
3) From a business point of view, which artists in the game do you think are really pushing the boundaries and changing it up?
From a business point of view, artists that I feel like are really pushing the boundaries and changing it up is; Central Cee, Lil Baby and NBA youngboy.
4) What business lessons have you learnt from the music industry so far?
The most valuable lesson I’ve learnt from the music industry so far is building leverage. E.g Catalog, Brand, fans.
5) What do you love about hip-hop music?
The impact and influence hip pop has on the world is definitely the thing I love most about it, ranging from cars, clothes, the way you wear clothes, women.
6) What still surprises you about hip-hop?
The innovation within Hip Pop over the years definitely surprises, whenever you think there can’t be more change more comes.
7) If you had the power to change one thing about the hip-hop industry to help independent artists – what would it be?
If I could change one thing about the music industry it would definitely be the payout from streaming platforms to artists.
8) Who do you think are top 3 rappers doing it at the moment?
Top 3 rappers doing it at the moment for me are, Central Cee, Lil Baby and Drake.
9) So what are your plans for the future?
I’m going to be in the discussion and debate for one of the biggest rappers/Artist in the world. My Label ‘Olympus Ora’ will host Hit Makers.