As an independent hip-hop artist grinding it out for over 15 years, Cort Knoxx is ready to take his career to the next level. Check out his project – F*** Yo Mixtape – released at the end of last year to get a taste of what he’s getting ready to achieve with 2015.
1) Do you remember the moment you wanted to be a hip-hop artist?
Yes, it was somewhere around 1985-86 Listening to Fat Boys, Biz Markie, Juice Crew, LL, Beasties…Fat Boys were my favorite at the time…
2) What was it like creating your latest project?
Like all my projects, it’s always a personal experience because I’m revealing my thoughts and how I deal with things, leaves me vulnerable in a way because people are critics and if they don’t relate to you it can go downhill sometimes.
3) What are you trying to achieve with the project?
Visibility, Major Label Attention, Licensing Ops.
4) What are your thoughts on staying independent or signing to a major label?
At this point in my life I would welcome a Major Label Op as I have been independent for 15+ years, I’m ready for the Majors!
5) How do you feel about the independent hip-hop industry right now?
The best it’s been EVER! Now Professional Artists with budgets can make a lot of headway and attention nowadays with the influx of modern technology!
6) As an independent hip-hop artist grinding it out, what sort of promotion and marketing are you doing to stand out from the rest?
Viral Social Media Marketing, Usage of Download Cards, using the USB medium instead of traditional CD medium, Live Web Broadcast of Shows via website
7) How do you think you’ve grown as an artist?
I’ve grown a great deal from when I started in 93’, I was real hardcore gangster my lyrics were violent my name had a gang connotation, etc..
As I grew older and my experiences changed so has my music and maturity…It seem to just get better with time
8) How do you feel about hip-hop today?
I’ve always felt good about Hip Hop throughout its Lifespan, The problem I have is the majors lack of responsibility to the culture of Hip Hop, they keep letting artists wear and look like what Hip Hop is not…Just create a new genre called fag hop or something!
9) What artists in the game today do you look at for inspiration?
Prince, Dj Quik, Pharrell
10) Who are your top 5 rappers dead or alive?
My Rotating 5:
- Big Daddy Kane
- Kool G Rap