T. Boogie is an independent artist from Southeast, Washington, DC. He has been in love with music since a child, and recalls forming rap groups with his fellow classmates in elementary and middle school, as well as participating in cyphers in high school.
After one of his older brothers introduced him to Fruity Loops, a digital audio workstation, he began making his own beats while in middle school.
Since 2009, he has released over many projects and has worked with various artists and producers throughout the DC metropolitan area including but not limited to, Gleesh, Gold Link, Fat Trel, Acito the Great, Dolan Beats, MelloGotThat and 2 Tall.
1) Talk to me about the making of your latest project. What was the inspiration behind it?
This project was inspired by the ability to create, which was instilled in every human being, by our creator.
2) With the music industry tanking and record sales falling, how do you currently make money as an independent hip-hop artist?
Doing whatever it takes. Exhausting all of my talents to get paid for my art (although money isn’t the main goal), whether its from streaming, features or exclusive merch.
3) From a business point of view, which artists in the game do you think are really pushing the boundaries and changing it up?
Nipsey Hussle, without a doubt.
4) What business lessons have you learnt from the music industry so far?
Some people sacrifice quality and integrity for the sake of making quick money, while others put their belief in the product first.
5) What do you love about hip-hop music?
Everyone has a story so its always an artist out there to listen to if you aren’t interested in whats pushed to the forefront or following trends, you just have to discover them.
6) What still surprises you about hip-hop?
The fact that a lot of people aren’t tired of certain patterns, styles, & themes was surprising until I learned more about life and how everything has its cycle.
7) If you had the power to change one thing about the hip-hop industry to help independent artists – what would it be?
I would develop some type of scholarship program for independent artists.
8) Who do you think are top 3 rappers doing it at the moment?
Nipsey, Kendrick, Drake, Future, Gucci..I know you said 3 but I cant leave any of them out.
9) So what are your plans for the future?
Cinematic videos, sold out shows, plaques, exclusive/limited merch, more crankage!