News

Jurors Hear Keffe D’s Own 2008 Interview in Tupac Shakur Murder Trial

Nearly 30 years after Tupac Shakur was gunned down in Las Vegas, the landmark murder trial tied to the case has reached a crucial moment: jurors have now heard Duane “Keffe D” Davis speak for himself in a recorded police interview from 2008.

In courtroom testimony reported on Aug. 21 and Aug. 22, prosecutors played the taped exchange for the jury as part of their case against Davis, who is charged with orchestrating the 1996 drive-by shooting. The interview has emerged as one of the central pieces of evidence in a trial that has been long awaited by hip-hop fans, legal observers and anyone still tracking one of rap’s most notorious unresolved killings.

What jurors heard

According to the testimony, Davis described the night of the shooting in the recorded interview with detectives. He said his nephew, Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson, fired the fatal shots at Shakur. Davis also told detectives he was in the Cadillac with Anderson and other men during the shooting.

That account places Davis inside the vehicle linked to the attack and gives prosecutors a direct recorded statement to present to jurors. In a case built around events that took place decades ago, the tape carries unusual weight because it comes from Davis’s own mouth rather than from a later recollection or third-party account.

Ty's Menswear

Why the tape matters

Prosecutors have said they intend to rely heavily on Davis’s own statements across multiple formats, including police interviews, podcasts and a memoir. That strategy makes the 2008 recording especially important, because it lets the state argue that Davis previously discussed the shooting in detail and connected himself to the events in question.

The courtroom development came during the first week of the long-awaited trial, adding momentum to a proceeding that is still unfolding. For the prosecution, the interview appears to function as a cornerstone: a recorded narrative that jurors can hear directly and compare against the state’s broader theory of the case.

For Davis, the playback of the interview means his words are now being tested in open court nearly two decades after they were given to detectives. The timing underscores the unusual endurance of the case, which has remained in the public eye for years but is only now moving through a major trial phase.

A defining moment in a historic case

The trial’s importance extends beyond the narrow facts of one shooting. It is a major live courtroom development in a case that has shaped hip-hop history and public memory since Shakur’s death in 1996. With jurors now hearing Davis’s own version of events, the case has shifted from long-running speculation to evidence being presented piece by piece before the court.

What happens next will likely depend on how jurors weigh that recorded interview against the rest of the prosecution’s evidence. But as the first week of testimony makes clear, Davis’s own taped admissions are now at the center of the trial.